A ring doorbell is an attractive option for homeowners who want to monitor their property even if they are not at home.
However, a hacker can gain access to a Ring outdoor doorbell’s camera and audio feed, allowing them to view and record activities. This vulnerability needs to be taken into consideration before purchasing or installing a ring doorbell.
A recent study has verified this concern. Researchers at the University of Michigan discovered that they could access the camera and microphone on Ring’s doorbell using an online tool, which means criminals could potentially use this information to steal property or harm someone.
So, is my doorbell hackable? The short answer is yes, but it’s not as simple as you might think.
While many home security systems use video cameras and sensors to monitor who’s at the door, most ring doorbells only use a microphone to listen for knocks. So hackers need only find a way to spoof the audio signal in order to trick the system into believing someone is at the door.
Ring has since released a patch to fix the vulnerability. “We have always maintained that Ring’s security measures are strong and that our customers’ information is safe,” a spokesperson for Ring told Digital Trends. “We believe in the protection of privacy, which is why we take these matters seriously.
Ring Products We Reviewed:
- Ring Motion Enabled Wired Spotlight Cam
- Ring Floodlight Camera For Outside Usage
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 with HD Video
- Ring Video Doorbell 4 (2021 release) with Ring Chime Pro
What is a Ring Doorbell?
The Ring Doorbell is a modern days doorbell that you can use to monitor your home from anywhere in the world.
You simply install the Ring Doorbell and connect it to your Wi-Fi network. Wi-Fi behaves like a bridge between the Ring Doorbell and your smartphone.
Once the connection is completed, you can view live who is at the door, and even talk to them using the built-in microphone. The Ring Doorbell also has sensors that detect motion and sound, so you can be sure that whoever is at the door is actually there.
The same features also work at night. Its advanced technology makes sure for you that you get crisp, clear video at night too.
How does the Ring Doorbell work?
The device uses two cameras to capture footage of whoever is outside your door, and then it transmits this footage to the Ring app on your phone where you can watch it live or review it after the fact.
It happens because of the WiFi connectivity. For this, both the Ring Doorbell and the mobile phone should be connected with working WiFi.
There are also many advanced features, like the activity zone. With this feature, you can set a hot zone in which Ring will actively monitor the activities and will send you a notification whenever it detects any activity there.
Can the Ring Doorbell be hacked?
Yes, Ring doorbell can be hacked , according to recent studies. The report states that an attacker could utilize a specially designed device to view live footage from the camera on the front of the doorbell, as well as listen in on conversations taking place inside the home.
According to my research, there is no need to worry about the common person. No one is free to hack everyone’s home devices. But still, you should take recommended safety steps.
How could someone hack a Ring Doorbell?
If someone wanted to hack a Ring Doorbell, they could do so by gaining access to the device’s firmware or by tampering with the physical components of the device. However, it is a high level of hacking.
Additionally, if someone had video footage of someone entering or exiting the property without being authorized, they could potentially use this footage to hack the doorbell.
Further, the hackers can also get into your devices if they successfully reached your WiFi network. It is the biggest down of smart home devices.
What are the potential risks of having a hacked Ring Doorbell?
People who have a hacked ring doorbell could be at risk of identity theft, invasion of privacy, and other crimes. Furthermore, if the camera is not properly secured, criminals can use it to spy on people in their homes.
Ring has released a statement advising customers to change their passwords and install security software to protect themselves.
- Does Ring Doorbell require a subscription
- How To Protect Ring Doorbell From Theft
- Things you need to know about Ring Doorbell
- Can a smart TV be hacked
- Can a Smart Home be hacked
How to tell if your Ring Doorbell has been hacked?
If you’ve noticed that your Ring Doorbell isn’t working the way it used to, there’s a good chance someone has hacked it and controlling it remotely.
Please note: it can also happen if any of your family member changed the settings.
Here’s how to tell if your Ring Doorbell has been hacked:
- If you’re not able to access the camera or recorded footage from the device, it’s likely that somebody has hacked into it and taken control.
- If you can’t view your guest’s faces.
- If you’re unable to control who can and can’t get into your home.
- Your default settings have been changed.
- If someone hacked your Ring Doorbell, Amazon Alexa may also not take your orders.
So, if you’re wondering if your Ring Doorbell has been hacked, there are a few ways to further verify.
Firstly, you can go to the Ring website and sign in.
Then, click on “My Devices” in the left-hand column and select your Ring Doorbell. On the right-hand position, under “Details,” you’ll see a section labeled “Sign In Status.”
If it says “Active,” then your Ring Doorbell has not been hacked.
If it says “Changed,” then your Ring Doorbell has been hacked.
If it says “Deleted,” then your Ring Doorbell has been hacked.
How to secure Ring Doorbell from Hackers?
If you’re one of the millions of homeowners who have a Ring Doorbell, there’s a good chance that you’re also concerned about potential hackers accessing your footage or hacking your device itself.
Here’s how to secure your Ring Doorbell from both threats.
- Set up standard password protection on your Ring Doorbell. This will require you to input a unique password each time you access your device.
- Use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt all of your internet traffic. The Ring Doorbell is configured to use the VPN for its public IP address and camera footage. This way, the device will be completely protected from intruders accessing it on the internet.
- Use a separate WiFi for your smart home devices.
- Do not ever share device information like usernames or passwords on social media or with the public. If you do, your home security and personal information will be compromised.
- If you see any firmware or malware update in the official mobile app, do it. These updates help the device to work more properly and protect from malicious cyber attacks.
- You can also enable two factor authentication to secure your outdoor camera doorbell.
Related: How to save IoT devices from hackers
Learn more about the smart home security system .
So, can Ring Doorbell be hacked? Yes, it is possible to hack the Ring Doorbell, but there are some ways to protect yourself, such as using a strong password and changing it regularly. It will protect it from suspicious hacks.
So, if you are using a Ring Doorbell, be sure to take the necessary precautions, I mentioned before to keep your information safe.