You might already hear that using IoT devices at home is risky. But how much risk is it to use these devices? Can we take some steps to protect our privacy?
Well, internet-connected devices make our lives much more straightforward, but it also raises some challenges. It is why, before using these devices blindly, we need to understand the risks behind using the internet of things.
To assure our privacy is not at risk with these devices, continue reading.
INTERNET OF THINGS
Internet of things is an international network of virtual and physical things. These devices have a connection to the internet. Each device of the IoT has a unique ID that is used for its identification. Good brands make sure this ID is unique to make it a unique device from the rest of the same model’s devices. It ensures an extra security layer.
Internet of things is a modern technology that changes how we interact with other devices. Internet of things holds our future as we can communicate and compute with handheld or infrastructure devices.
These devices help us in our daily activities and the advancement of society. Many of them are battery-operated.
Kevin Ashton used the term IoT first. He described that with the help of the IoT, we could communicate addresses and make them accessible to the internet. Every device has an identification protocol through which it can sense, compute or communicate with the assistance of the internet.
These devices collect data and transmit it for public and private use and ensure the security of that data. Internet of things maintains the uprightness and confidentiality of data, as well as its identification and authentication, which is the key to IoT security and privacy.
IoT creates content or data without human interaction and by only using machines. Internet of things provides us with action and timely information. Many IoTs use wireless sensor networks like radio frequency identification known as RFID or nuclear field communication NFC.
Technologies used in IoT
There are tiny technologies that are working in these little devices. These technologies let IoTs remain connected with the internet, collect data, transmit it to the owner, and take directions from the owner.
These technologies might differ from device to device, but a few ones are:
Radiofrequency identification RFID: Radiofrequency identification is widely used in IoT. RFID can be active RFID as well as passive RFID.
Because of RFID technology, these devices have become a reality. In the IoT, all the devices are equipped with identifiers and smart tags. We can manage them with the assistance of computers or other devices.
Internet of things devices also have microprocessors and smart chips. These give them the capability of sensing information from the surrounding environment. It computes the information and communicates it to other objects or humans.
Nuclear field communication NFC: Many devices also have nuclear field communication (NFC ). NFC is used when we need to communicate from a bit of distance from things.
We can use it for numerous services, for example, transport, access control, smart cards, etc.
Wireless sensor network WSN: Wireless sensor networks are used for sensing applications and together with information. WSN is cost-effective. It consumes or uses low power and is also efficient.
Security protocols of IOT
We can say that these cover many activities of our life through a vast range of applications and products. All of these devices need several protocols for security reasons.
We have to use unique security frameworks for every internet of things device for security, including choosing from the current security solutions.
The first aim of the IoT composition is the privacy and security of the user, as privacy is the user’s right.
FOR EXAMPLE: iTags are IoT that is unknown to the user’s knowledge. Therefore, our users of the IoT devices can be followed, and their activities can be traced on the internet.
Security and privacy issues of IoT devices
There are certain security and privacy problems of IoT devices. The user’s privacy is sometimes invaded because of the use of these devices.
Some of these challenges addressed are:
- USER PRIVACY: When there is a fixed domain name given to a particular node of the IoT, then the user’s privacy is at risk. Because everyone now understands the firmware working.
- ACCESS CONTROL: If a hacker can access a device, he can easily access the user’s passwords and personal data. Therefore, these service providers must apply an access control mechanism to protect the user data from misuse. It must provide protocols to remove any damage to the private information of a user.
- IDENTITY MANAGEMENT: The identity of the users can be known to others. Many of the IoT are open to vulnerability and can be exploited.
- SMARTPHONE SECURITY: In many cases, we have to connect our IoT devices to our smartphones. It is a security risk for our smartphones and privacy. Our personal information can be known and used by the manufacturer.
- COMMUNICATION OF SECURE DATA: Sometimes, the identity of communicating objects are not protected. Our communicated data could be open to vulnerability by any hacker and accessibility.
- ATTACKERS AND HACKERS: Because of the increasing demand for these devices, it is a potential interest for hackers to hack. They can exploit any vulnerability in this system. Therefore, such mechanisms or applications are compulsory against attacks and avoid points of failure.
- IDENTIFICATION: One of the utmost essential issues in security services of IoT is the requirement of identification. Identification is required per device. Whether the device is an original or malicious node, it requires a reference of manufacture to be available.
- AUTHENTICATION: Authentication of every device is not easy to accomplish. It is among the biggest issues in IoT devices because of their ranges and numbers increasing day by day.
- HETEROGENEITY: Heterogeneity is the biggest security and privacy concern for IoT devices. It is difficult to manage different types of IoT devices with their security issues and requirements. The device needs to be tackled differently on different occasions, making it hard to apply a single solution to all the devices. Therefore, it is difficult and hard to secure every IoT device from different types of attacks.
- COMMUNICATION ISSUES: Each device of IoT communicates and works differently. Therefore, device heterogeneity can affect many aspects of a device, such as integration privacy.
More and more people realize the risks of using these devices. Now, manufacturers are also working to minimize these risks with their devices.
SOLUTION FOR SECURITY ISSUES
It doesn’t mean we stop using the internet of things because of their risks. We can take some steps to secure our homes from cyber attacks.
- IDENTIFICATION: We can identify IoT devices by considering their physical or hardware addresses. You can do this via IPv6 . It is recommended for preceding authentication and data management.
- AUTHENTICATION: Authentication of a humongous range of gadgets can be a difficult task and become an issue. We can use RFID, which is placed in the main part of identifying devices. RFID uses electromagnetic induction. RFID can be used against combined encryption, controlling, managing, and reproduction.
- DATA MANAGEMENT: Data management can be resolved by barcode identification techniques and vision-based identification. The most frequently used is barcode identification techniques, which are faster and more accurate. It has a low error rate. Barcode identification technique quick output and it scans the barcode.
- Separate WiFi: We can dedicate a separate WiFi for these internet devices so that no one can come to our personal network. If no one is able to access our personal network, he will be unable to access our personal information. Learn How to secure IoT on the home network?
- Using VPN: a reliable VPN changes your location to anywhere else. In this way, a hacker struggles to find your site to hack.
- Buy Branded Devices: You might find branded IoT devices expensive, but that is worth it. Brands invest a lot to make their devices reliable. It is why we recommend only purchasing branded devices.
Internet of things or IoT devices will become the main component of our future use and the internet. It is what you need because of its sensing and actuating capabilities. Many devices help to connect both real and virtual worlds by serving as a bridge is connected.
Nevertheless, there are many security and privacy concerns or issues that appear in IoT devices. These issues need to be considered. The development has become more prevalent to ensure that smart objects coexist in non-hostile environments.
The main issues that IoT devices mostly receive are data management, heterogeneity, a non-secure system of communication, smartphone security, and accessibility control.
Nevertheless, IoT devices may be with some security and privacy concerns or issues. Still, they are resourceful devices in human life as these help us in daily activities and make our tasks easier.