Having an intractable large screen feels great. You can do a lot of stuff smartly and quickly. But ever wonder, someone spy you using your smart TV without letting you know?
If yes, you might wonder for an expert guide to know if your smart TV can be hacked; if yes, how to protect your smart TV from being hacked.
Well, in this guide, we will answer your questions and let you know what experts say.
What if your smart TV gets hacked?
It depends on the hacker what he does after getting access to your smart TV. If he intends to spy on you, he will only use the camera, record you, and take recordings back to his PC. Later, he can use those recordings against you or can viral on social media.
Keep in mind, the FBI and TV companies and app makers can spy on you, watch and listen to you. But usually, they do not do these things and respect user privacy. But a serious threat comes from bad actors.
- Can Smart Home be Hacked?
- How to save IoT devices from hackers?
- Can a Ring Doorbell Be Hacked?
- Do Smart TVs have Bluetooth?
Can a smart TV be hacked?
So, is it possible to hack someone’s smart TV?
Unfortunately, yes. Expert says everything connected with the internet is not safe. It means hackers can hack any device connected to the internet.
How is it possible?
Companies that manufacture smart devices try their best to secure their devices as much as possible. They include many security layers to distract hackers.
But there is always a weak point that smart TV hackers try to find first. For example, they might know XYZ’s default passwords. If the user hasn’t changed the basic passwords yet, they can log in to your device.
Hackers always search for weak spots that users might leave behind. Being a user, we have to make sure we secure our devices as much as possible.
Will I get to know when my TV gets hacked?
He has access to your TV now. He has full access to your device, just like you. There are chances he will change settings to better listen to your conversation and take the recording back to his PC.
So, when you feel your TV has different settings you set previously, first, confirm from your family whether they have changed the settings; if they have changed no settings, then there are chances any hacker accesses your TV.
It is also possible you see someone has changed the WiFi password. Because home WiFi is the best way to get into the smart devices in your home.
If you see these changes, quickly reset your WiFi router and change all the default passwords.
Please note that a few expert hackers can hack the IoTs without changing any settings.
Now, here is the million-dollar question, is there any way to secure my smart TV from being get hacked?
How to secure your smart TV?
Your smart TV may get hacked, but it does not mean that you make it a dumb TV after adding so many restrictions over it.
First, we need to understand the weak spots from where a smart TV hackers can get into your smart gadget. It might be your WiFi’s weak password, you might install a spammy app, you might plug in a USB containing a virus, you might be using the old operating system and related to these.
There can be plenty of reasons you give an entering spot to a hacker. Let’s discuss further and secure your smart gadget.
- Use Strong WiFi Password: Always, always use a powerful network password and change the ones that come with your router. Mostly, company default passwords are publicly available over many websites. So, remember to change the network default settings and passwords.
- Prefer a wired connection: If your smart gadget has an option to use the internet via an ethernet cord, make the wired connection. Ethernet connection is more secure and fast than WiFi.
- Update OS: Most of the smart gadgets manufacturing companies roll out regular updates to make their devices more secure and fast. It is the reason, you should always look for updates and update your smart devices when it is possible. Having the latest version of OS means you have the latest protection features from the manufacturer.
- Download and use trusted apps: It is highly important to rely on only trusted apps. There are many apps on the internet that provide a route to hackers. If you installed any, nothing can save your smart device.
- Change settings to restricted ones: While settings up the internal settings and features, always pick the most restrictive options.
- Run anti-virus: If anytime you feel uncomfortable, run anti-virus software. You can also purchase any that is designed for only smart TVs.
If you still feel uncomfortable, you can cover the camera of your smart TV with black tape. So that if it gets hacked, the hacker will not see anything. And when you need the camera, unwrap it, use it, and recover it with tape.
Using clever devices doesn’t mean you are compromising over your privacy, but enjoying the modern features with extra precautions.
So, use your modern devices with confidence but keep in mind the expert’s recommendations. Do not share your passwords and other sensitive information on social media.